Corporate Trainer and Training Coordinator at GAIL India Ltd,
Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
AYUSH GUPTA is an astute professional with over 21 years of experience in Process and Oil & Gas Industry, encompassing Project Management, Operations and Maintenance, Quality, MIS and Training. After working for over 10 years at UP Region O&M Headquarters, Agra looking after the Project Construction, Operations & Maintenance of Cross country Gas Pipelines and Agra & Firozabad City Gas Distribution Network, I am presently working as Chief Manager(Training) at GAIL India Ltd and posted at GAIL Training Institute, Noida. The current job profile includes working as a faculty for design, development, and delivery of courses related to Natural Gas Pipeline Projects Management, O&M, Cathodic Protection and skill development. The responsibility includes planning and execution of learning & development interventions for Human resource development & capability building at GAIL. Having experience in plant operations and maintenance including conceptualization, planning, and execution of various related activities. Possess technical expertise in Project Management, Construction and O&M of natural gas pipelines including compliance to various codes and standards (ASME, API, NACE, ISO, OISD etc.) during construction, commissioning and O&M of natural gas pipelines.
Core Areas of Expertise: City Gas Distribution Project Management and O&M, Natural Gas Pipelines Projects and O&M, Cathodic Protection, Integrity Management, Human Resources Capability Building, Talent Management
Corporate Trainer and Training Coordinator at GAIL India Ltd, Noida
Head of the Pipeline and Electrical Department at GAIL India Ltd, Agra
May 1998- Oct 2008
Commenced career as a Graduate Engineer Trainee at Insilco Ltd
Operations and Maintenance
- Maintaining uninterrupted gas supplies to over 300 consumers in Agra and Firozabad region.
- Monitoring & maintenance of 450 kms Natural Gas pipeline network including over 100 Kms of Agra & Firozabad City Gas Distribution Pipeline Network and their associated Pipeline installations (SV, IP & RR Station, City Gate Station).
- Monitoring and maintenance of Electrical System (HT/LT System, GEG, TEG & Other Electrical Equipment).
- Preventive and Breakdown maintenance including planning and effecting preventive maintenance schedules for various machineries and equipment in an Indo-German Silica Manufacturing Process Plant.
- Spares procurement along with finalizing the specifications of spare parts and establishing the quality & quantity limits.
- Implementation of PM module of SAP-ERP for O&M at work centres of GAIL UP Region.
- Tendering and execution of contracts for maintenance gas pipelines and Cathodic Protection system.
- Effectively handling the emergency situations like leakage and fire in the city gas distribution pipelines.
- Implementing innovative measures to prevent meter tampering and theft of gas.
- Administration of Gas supply contracts for over 300 small scale industrial customers including ensuring supply of gas as per contract, proper metering, invoicing and ensuring compliance to the given terms and conditions.
- Liaisoning with the District administration, Other Utility companies, local MPs/MLAs, Industry associations etc.
- Implementation of the first pilot system for remote monitoring and recording of metering data at the consumer premises.
Project Planning & Management in City Gas Distribution Networks and Cross Country Natural Gas Pipelines
- Technical feasibility studies for new consumer connections and pipelines in City area.
- Detailed engineering and working with engineering consultants like EIL and MECON for expansion of pipeline network, adding new connections and modifications in the existing pipeline networks.
- Forming and spearheading cross-functional teams for streamlining the execution of project.
- Regular monitoring and progress review, ensuring timely execution and cost control.
- Managing and controlling the resources for optimum utilisation.
- Generating various reports on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to monitor the progress and functioning as well as apprising the top management of the same.
- Coordination between the Project Management Consultants(PMC) and the Contractors.
Project Execution- Installation and Commissioning in City Gas Distribution Networks and Cross Country Natural Gas Pipelines
- Managing overall activities pertaining to installation and commissioning of GREP Pipeline, Bajhera-Agra-Firozabad Spurline, and Agra & Firozabad city gas Pipelines and their associated Cathodic Protection systems.
- Supervising commissioning activities and ensuring adherence to various codes and standards as well as compliance to quality and safety standards.
- Conducting inspection, pre-commissioning and functional testing of various equipment and systems.
- Installation and commissioning of Thermo Electric Generators that were being used for the first time in India.
Compliance to Quality/Safety, Environment & Health
- Management Representative (MR) for ISO 9001:2008 at GAIL Training Institute, Noida
- Developing and implementing an effective quality, environment and safety management programs
- Ensuring timely compliance of all the audit observations.
- Certified Internal Auditors Course for ISO 9000
- Certified Lead Auditors Course for OHSAS
- Functioning as an internal auditor for quality and safety audits within the company.
Commercial, Legal and Regulatory aspects
- Tariff calculations for gas transmission and distribution.
- Handling of technical and commercial disputes with the consumers.
- Handling arbitration and court cases including preparation and filing of written statements, affidavits, replies, rejoinders and appearing as witness on behalf of GAIL.
- Coordination with the Marketing and Finance department.
- Bringing modifications and improvements in Gas supply contracts.
- Levying of penalties in line with agreed terms and conditions of the contract including effecting the closure of gas supply to the defaulting consumers.
- Setting up the Regional Gas Management Centre (RGMC) and start of e-Joint ticketing.
Human Resource Development and Training
- Planning, scheduling, and executing annual training programs for 3000 executives of the company in accordance with the individual and organisational training needs.
- Providing training in areas of Pipeline O&M, Integrity Management and Cathodic Protection as an Internal faculty at GAIL Training Institute at Noida and Jaipur
- ASME Certified Trainer in Natural Gas Pipelines Design, construction, O&M, Integrity Management and Pipeline Personnel Qualification.
- Design and development of new course modules.
- Design and development of Individual Development Plans for Senior employees based on the areas of development identified through Assessment Centres(SMDC).
- Planning and executing orientation and training programs for all new hires in the organisation.
- Working on Projects like Skill gaps analysis in Oil & Gas Industry, Tal, Competency Mapping, Capability Building in new business areas like Power, Shale Gas, International Gas Sourcing etc.
- Formulation of Strategy 2020 and training policy for Capacity and Capability Building.
Accomplishment across Assignments
- Recipient of Chevening Rolls Royce Science, Innovation, Policy and Leadership Scholarship 2013 for completing a 3 months development program at SAID Business School, Oxford University, UK.
- Optimisation of Electrical loads resulting in Cost Savings to the Company both at Insilco and GAIL.
- Best paper award (twice) at International Conference on Corrosion and Cathodic Protection organised by NACE International India Section.
- Recipient of National Corrosion Awareness Award for Excellence in Corrosion science given by NACE International India Section in the year 2004.
- Recipient of Emerging HRD Thinkers Award 2011 awarded by Indian Society for Training & Development(ISTD).
- As a team member in controlling the Stock loss in Gas distribution network of Agra- Firozabad and bringing it down from 8% to within 0.3% resulting into a saving a loss of more than 10 crores to the company.
- Transformation of GTI from a revenue consumption centre to a revenue generation centre.
- Received nine(9) Outstanding ratings out of the last 10 Annual Performance ratings.
Knowledge Sharing Experience
- Conducting programmes on Pipeline O&M and Cathodic Protection as an Internal faculty at GAIL’s Gas Training Institute at Noida
- Nominated Faculty for delivering lectures in Industry – Academia interaction through Petrotech Student Chapters at educational institutions in India
- Design and Development of Course modules on O&M of Cathodic Protection Systems & Short term Courses on CNG and City Gas.
- ASME Certified Authorised Training Instructor for Courses on Gas Pipeline Integrity Management and Maintenance, Pipeline Personnel Qualifications and Gas Transmission and Distribution Systems.
- Conducted a course on Natural Gas Business for 3rd Semester MBA students at Rajeev Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology.
- Conducted sessions for 3rd and 4th year Engineering students of University of Petroleum and Energy Studies at Dehradun.
- Study undertaken on identification of skill gaps in the existing ITI Curricula and drafted revised Curricula for Instrument Technician for the CNG and City Gas Industry
- Development of short term course modules on O&M of Cross Country and City Gas pipelines in association with Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB)
- B. E. (Electrical) from IIT Roorkee in 1992 with 72.05%
- MBA (Operations Management) from IGNOU in 2003 with grade point of 3.52 on a 5 point scale
- Pursuing PhD in Oil & Gas Management from University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers(ASME) Membership No. 10882161
- American Society for Training & Development (ASTD) Membership No. 100030668
- Member of International Working Group(ASME) on Pipeline Personnel Qualifications.
Continuing Education- Programs attended
- Chevening Science, Innovation, Policy and Leadership Program at Said Business School, University Of Oxford (April- June 2013)
- Leading Innovation- India, an Executive Education Program by Harvard Business School (August 2012)
- Certificate course in Cathodic Protection.
- Certified Internal Auditors Course for ISO 9000
- Certified Lead Auditors Course for OHSAS
- Course on MS Projects
- Management Development programme at IIM Kolkatta and IIM Lucknow.
- O&M of Thermo Electric Generators (TEG) at Calgary, Canada.
- Train the Trainer Course on ASME B31.8Q & B31.8S in January 2009
- Train the Trainer Course on ASME B31.8 in March 2009
Conferences/ Seminars/Workshops Attended
- CORCON 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004 & 2011 Conference on Corrosion and Cathodic Protection organised by NACE International India section.
- Workshop on Pipeline Integrity Management organised by Oil Industries Safety Directorate (OISD).
- Petrotech 2009, 8th International Oil & Gas Conference & Exhibition organised by Indian Oil Corporation.
- CNG Workshop for SAARC Nations (16-17 April 2009) organised by GAIL Training Institute.
- Personnel Chief's Meet 2009 (7-8 August 2009)- A conference of HR Heads of all the Oil & Gas PSUs in India.
- ASME India Oil & Gas Pipeline Conference (4-5 Feb 2011) at Goa, India
- 37th ARTDO International Leadership & HRD Conference (27-30 July 2010), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- ASTD 2011 International Conference & Exposition (May 22-25, 2011), Orlando, Florida
- Asia Gas Partnership Summit(AGPS-2012), New Delhi, India.
- 25th World Gas Conference (June 4-8, 2012), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- ASME India Oil & Gas Pipeline Conference (2-3 Feb 2013) at Goa, India
- “Cathodic Protection For City Gas Distribution Pipeline Network – An Indian Perspective” presented at CORCON 2000, Conference on Corrosion and Cathodic Protection organised by NACE International India section.
- “Power Sources for CP System – An analysis of Thermo Electric Generators as a reliable power source” presented at CORCON 2001, Conference on Corrosion and Cathodic Protection organised by NACE International India section.
- “Corrosion beyond Oil & Gas pipelines” presented at CORCON 2001, Conference on Corrosion and Cathodic Protection organised by NACE International India section.
- “Condition Monitoring through CIPL on-off and DCVG survey” presented at CORCON 2002 Conference on Corrosion and Cathodic Protection organised by NACE International India section.
- “Challenges in City Gas Distribution Networks” submitted for workshop on pipeline integrity management organised by Oil Industries Safety Directorate (OISD).
- “Preparedness to handle Emergency in City Gas Distribution Networks” accepted for presentation at Pipeline Technology Conference 2009 organised by EITEP, Germany.
- “Human Resource Development: From Success to Progress” accepted for presentation at Pipeline Technology Conference 2009 organised by EITEP, Germany.
- “Preparing GENNEXT for the Expanding Natural Gas Business” presented at the Personnel Chiefs Meet 2009 at Jaipur, India
- “Bridging the Skill Gap In Oil & Gas Industry” presented at ASME India Oil & Gas Pipeline Conference (4-5 Feb 2011) at Goa, India
- “From a Leading Organisation to Building a Learning Organisation” at World Gas Conference 2012 organised by International Gas Union, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Mr. Rajesh Vedvyas, ED(Marketing), GAIL India Limited, New Delhi, India. Email id firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. P K Gupta, ED(PC Marketing), GAIL India Limited, New Delhi, India. Email id- email@example.com
- Dr. John Hoffmire, Professor at Said Business School, University of Oxford, UK. Email id- John.Hoffmire@sbs.ox.ac.uk